Private Equity- Analyst
June 06, 2022
Location: Toronto, ON or Montréal, QC
We are looking for:
- A versatile individual to work with our Deal Teams.
- A person who likes to be challenged in a dynamic and exciting work environment.
- Someone comfortable working in a smaller team and interacting with Partners on a daily basis.
The analyst plays a key role in making and managing direct private equity investments primarily in Canada, as well as the United-States. The analyst assists the Associates, Vice-Presidents, Principals and Partners in fundraising activities, evaluating potential investment opportunities, conducting research, developing recommendations, participating in the negotiation and execution of investments and monitoring/managing investments.
Analyze and Participate in the Execution of Investment Opportunities:
- Research, identify, analyze and evaluate a variety of private equity investment opportunities
- Build complex dynamic financial models to analyze investment opportunities (including testing assumptions and sensitivities)
- Help perform due diligence on opportunities including past and projected financial performance, quality of management teams, investment merits and risks, expected returns, regulatory environment, industry dynamics and other relevant factors
- Help review 3rd party due diligence reports (legal, accounting, industry strategic reviews, environmental, etc.)
- Perform valuation analysis, including DCF, precedent transactions and comparable company analysis
- Meet with company management and review past performance, strategy, outlook, regulatory and industry issues, and other relevant topics as required
- Assist Associates, Vice-Presidents, Principals and Partners in creating investment recommendations outlining potential investment opportunities
- Assist in presenting investment recommendations to Novacap Financial services’ Investment Committee
- Manage discreet aspects of the execution of private equity investments as directed
Monitor Private Equity Investments:
- Work with management teams on strategic business initiatives
- Coordinate with various investment and operation people at Novacap with respect to monitoring ongoing investments
- Monitor ongoing financial and operational performance of investments
- Assist in performing reviews of valuations for investments
- Act as an observer at meetings and board meetings as required
- Assist in monitoring potential exit alternatives (including public market conditions and potential strategic partners)
- Assist in building and leveraging relationships with portfolio company management teams and other stakeholders
Build the Team:
- Participate in and contribute to weekly departmental meetings and investment recommendation meetings
- Assist in recruiting activities including liaising with universities, networking, sourcing candidates and interviewing prospective hires, as required
- 1 - 2 years of experience (excluding internship) in Investment Banking, Private Equity, Big 4 Audit/Transaction Services, Corporate M&A or other relevant fast-paced and analytically driven investment organization.
- Undergraduate degree in Finance, accounting or other related business field. MBA, CFA and /or CA designation is considered an asset.
- Strong research, financial modeling, analytical and valuation skills is required
- Experience in conducting due diligence
- Professionalism and integrity
- Strong interpersonal skills and business relationship skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing (French and English)
- Flexibility, adaptability and initiative
- Good judgment and “sense of the deal”
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Team player who enjoys a high performance culture
If your profile is relevant to this role, then please send your CV to: [email protected].