Associate - Novacap Financial Services
June 25, 2019
Associate position - Private Equity FIRM
Novacap Financial services
Reporting To: Managing Partner, Financial services group
Location: Brossard, Qc
We are looking for:
- A versatile individual to work with our Financial services Team, with a strong interest in financial services businesses, including asset and wealth management, insurance manufacturing and distribution, non-bank lending, financial infrastructure, etc.;
- A person who likes to be challenged in a dynamic and exciting work environment;
- Someone comfortable working in a smaller team and interacting with Partners on a daily basis.
Reporting to the Managing Partner, Financial services, the Associate plays a key role in making and managing direct private equity investments primarily in Canada, as well as the United-States. The Associate assists Vice-Presidents, Principals and Partners in fundraising activities, evaluating potential investment opportunities, conducting research, developing recommendations, participating in the negotiation and execution of investments and monitoring/managing investments.
Analyze and Participate in the Execution of Investment Opportunities:
- Research, identify, analyze and evaluate a variety of private equity investment opportunities
- Build complex dynamic financial models to analyze investment opportunities (including testing assumptions and sensitivities)
- Perform due diligence on opportunities including past and projected financial performance, quality of management teams, investment merits and risks, expected returns, regulatory environment, industry dynamics and other relevant factors
- Review 3rd party due diligence reports (legal, accounting, industry strategic reviews, environmental, etc.)
- Perform valuation analysis, including DCF, precedent transactions and comparable company analysis
- Meet with company management and review past performance, strategy, outlook, regulatory and industry issues, and other relevant topics as required
- Assist Vice-Presidents, Principals and Partners in creating investment recommendations outlining potential investment opportunities
- Assist in presenting investment recommendations to Novacap Financial services’ Investment Committee
- Manage discreet aspects of the execution of private equity investments as directed
Monitor Private Equity Investments:
- Work with management teams on strategic business initiatives
- Coordinate with various investment and operation people at Novacap with respect to monitoring ongoing investments
- Monitor ongoing financial and operational performance of investments
- Assist in performing reviews of valuations for investments
- Attend annual meetings and board meetings as required
- Assist in monitoring potential exit alternatives (including public market conditions and potential strategic partners)
- Assist in building and leveraging relationships with portfolio company management teams and other stakeholders
Build the Team:
- Participate in and contribute to weekly departmental meetings and investment recommendation meetings
- Assist in the training and development of Novacap team
- Assist in recruiting activities including liaising with universities, networking, sourcing candidates and interviewing prospective hires, as required
- 4 - 6 + years of experience in Investment Banking, Private Equity, Big 4 Audit/Transaction Services, Corporate M&A or other relevant fast-paced and analytically driven investment organization.
- Undergraduate degree in Finance, accounting or other related business field. MBA, CFA and /or CA designation is considered an asset.
- Strong research, financial modeling, analytical and valuation skills is required
- Experience in conducting due diligence
- Professionalism and integrity
- Strong interpersonal skills and business relationship skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing (French and English)
- Flexibility, adaptability and initiative
- Good judgment and “sense of the deal”
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Team player who enjoys a high performance culture
If your profile is relevant to this role, then please send your CV to: email@example.com.
Recruitment Consultants/Agencies: Please be aware that we only use agencies with which we have an established relationship with and will only respond to applications from individuals.
Founded in 1981, Novacap is a leading Canadian private equity firm with $3.2 billion of assets under management. It’s distinct investment approach, based on deep operational expertise and an active partnership with entrepreneurs, has helped accelerate growth and create long-term value for its numerous portfolio companies. With an experienced management team and substantial financial resources, Novacap is well positioned to continue building world-class businesses. Backed by leading global institutional investors, Novacap deals typically include leveraged buyouts, management buyouts, add-on acquisitions, IPOs, and privatizations. Over the last 37 years, Novacap has invested in more than 90 companies and completed more than 130 add-on acquisitions. The company has offices in Toronto and Brossard, Quebec. For more information, please visit www.novacap.ca.